The School of Continuing Studies' LEED Gold certified campus exemplifies the convergence of leading green building practices and strategic forethought. The facilities are designed for long-term energy efficiency and positioned to take advantage of Washington, D.C.'s public transportation system.
Green Building Features
Working with STUDIOS Architecture, Georgetown designed facilities to create a sustainable learning, teaching and working environment for students, faculty and staff. 640 Massachusetts Ave NW is recognized by the U.S. Green Building Council as a LEED Gold certified campus.
Georgetown integrated safe and sustainable building materials and measures into the design and construction of the campus.
- Recycled and regionally extracted materials used for construction and furniture
- Greenguard Certified furniture (Low Volatile Organic Compound)
- 75% of construction waste diverted from landfill
The School’s campus is designed for long-term energy efficiency, with sustainable processes and initiatives built into the building’s operations.
- Efficient cooling system and ventilation
- Power saving LED and fluorescent lighting
- Use of glass to provide natural lighting wherever possible
- ENERGY STAR appliances and equipment
- Water efficient plumbing fixtures
- Separate metering of utilities for accountability in energy and water consumption
- Refillable water stations
- Paper, glass and plastic recycling program
- Sustainable housekeeping program
With a perfect Transit Score of 100, the School is located in one of the most accessible areas of Washington, D.C., with easy access to public transportation within blocks of campus.
- All five Metro Rail lines
- Metro Bus stops
- Capital Bikeshare docking stations
- D.C. Circulator bus stops
- Union Station rail and bus services
- Secure bike racks
Campus Sustainability Tours
SCS offers monthly tours of the sustainable campus at 640 Massachusetts Ave NW. Upcoming dates are Friday, August 29 at 11:00 a.m. and Thursday, September 25 at 11:00 a.m.To register for a tour, please contact Andrew Glass at email@example.com.