Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies was pleased to offer selected courses, free of charge, to furloughed employees during the government shutdown in October 2013. The program received an enthusiastic response from the Washington, D.C. community. Read more.
While this program has ended, we are pleased to extend an offer of 10% off one professional non-credit course to those who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. Please complete a request for information form before November 30 and we will email you with details.
Eligible furloughed employees were able to register for one professional development course to gain new knowledge or expertise in various subjects. Those affected by the government shutdown were able to stay productive during normal work hours through this special Georgetown offering.
Courses were offered in the daytime through the university's Center for Continuing & Professional Education (CCPE) at the School of Continuing Studies' new downtown campus, located at 640 Massachusetts Ave NW in the Metro-accessible Gallery Place/Chinatown neighborhood.
The Center for Continuing & Professional Education offered the following selected professional development courses relevant to federal government professionals.
|Course Name||Dates||Times||Duration||Seats Available||Status*|
|The Power of Online Political Organizing||Oct 18||1:30pm-3:30pm||0.25 days||80||Closed|
|Ready, Set, Reset Your Social Strategy (Sec 02)||Oct 17||12:30pm-4:30pm||0.5 days||30||Closed|
|Public Sector Leadership in Challenging Times||Oct 17||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Leadership Communication (Sec 02)||Oct 17||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Leadership Moves: The Art of Reframing Problems||Oct 16||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Career Visioning for Managers||Oct 17||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|The Strategic Process||Oct 16||9:30am-12:00pm||0.25 days||25||Closed|
|Innovation & Leadership in Government (Sec 02)||Oct 16-17||9:00am-3:00pm||2.0 days||80||Closed|
|Leadership Communication (Sec 01)||Oct 16||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Mastering Your Leadership Presence||Oct 17||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Leading From Values||Oct 15||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Project Management Fundamentals (Sec 03)||Oct 15-17||9:00am-4:30pm||2.5 days||30||Closed|
|Project Management Fundamentals (Sec 02)||Oct 15-17||9:00am-4:30pm||2.5 days||30||Closed|
|Project Management Fundamentals (Sec 01)||Oct 8-10||9:00am-4:30pm||2.5 days||30||Closed|
|Manager as Coach||Oct 10||9:00am-4:30pm||1.0 days||30||Closed|
|Ready, Set, Reset your Social Strategy (Sec 01)||Oct 10||12:30pm-4:30pm||0.5 days||30||Closed|
|Innovation & Leadership in Government||Oct 10-11||9:00am-4:00pm||2.0 days||100||Closed|
|Patient Navigation Fundamentals||Oct 11-12||8:30am-5:30pm||2.0 days||30||Closed|
|Global Trends in International Migration||Oct 15-18||9:00am-5:00pm||4.0 days||20||Closed|
Georgetown ran all courses listed above, even those that ended after the shutdown was over. No student incurred an academic or financial penalty if they chose to withdraw from a course.
Program Details & Eligibility Requirements
- Open to employees of federal government agencies and contractors affected by the federal government shutdown.
- Limited to federal employees and contractors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Georgetown University (degree, non-degree, and non-credit) students who are currently enrolled in any of the courses listed above are excluded from this program.
- Registration is limited to one (1) course offered through the Center for Continuing and Professional Education.
- Federal employees will be asked to provide the name of agency/organization of employment, job title, and name and email address of immediate supervisor as proof of employment status.
- Courses offered through this program are non-credit.
- Employees who enroll in this program will not receive a Georgetown University certificate.
- Students may have the opportunity to transfer the non-credit Continuing Education Units (CEUs) earned in the furloughed employee program to a Georgetown University certificate program. Restrictions apply.
Congressional staff and federal employees who have any concerns about the propriety of accepting attendance at these classes under applicable government ethics rules should consult with their respective ethics committees, offices or counsel.