Welcome to Georgetown!
The Summer Programs for High School Students welcome international students to join the multicultural Georgetown University community! Please read the below information for important details regarding the application and visa processes.
Information for Credit Courses
If you are a student applying to take credit courses, and English is not the primary language of instruction at your high school, please submit TOEFL scores along with the rest of your application materials.
Please note TOEFL scores expire after two years, and we require valid, unexpired score reports. Applicants should use Georgetown’s School of Continuing Studies school code, 5986, when sending their official score reports. TOEFL or IELTS scores: We require a minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 225 (computer-based), or 90 (iBT). IELTS requires a minimum score of 7.0. Please contact SCS Admissions regarding TOEFL scores if you have any questions.
- International students participating in a credit program will need to be full-time students enrolled in at least six credits in order to study at Georgetown in F-1 student status.
- Students will work with the International Programs Advisor on the I-20 process.
- Students should allow at least six weeks for the processing of immigration documents. For Session I, we recommend applying by April 12, 2017 and for Session II by May 26, 2017.
- All admitted international students studying in F-1 status must attend a mandatory immigration orientation session upon arriving to Georgetown. The date and time of this session will be announced via email.
- F-1 visa holders must be enrolled in at least six credits for the duration of the summer session.
Information for Non-Credit Pre-College Programs
TOEFL scores are not required for non-credit Pre-College Programs. To fully participate and enjoy our non-credit Pre-College programs, we recommend that students be able to:
- In English, understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of interest.
- Interact with a degree of English fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers possible without strain for either party.
- Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options
Students who do not meet the above list of recommended skills may be best fit for the English Intensive College Preparatory Program.
International students participating our non-credit programs are not required to obtain a Visa.
Mandatory International Student Health Insurance
Georgetown University’s Summer Programs for High School students requires all international students1 to carry sufficient medical insurance coverage for the duration of their program. To assist in meeting this requirement, all international students will be automatically assessed an insurance charge on their student account or student invoice and will be enrolled in a health insurance plan administered by HTH Worldwide, underwritten by BCS Insurance Company. Requests for insurance waivers will not be considered.
Students who are dual U.S. citizens living outside of the U.S. and do not have U.S. medical insurance are not eligible for a health insurance plan through HTH Worldwide. Students in this situation will need to obtain their own health insurance for their time at Georgetown University.
Insurance rates for Summer 2017 are the following:
Institute Programs: $50.00
Immersion Programs: $100.00
College Prep Programs: $100.00
Credit Courses - Session I: $145.00
Credit Courses - Session II: $145.00
1If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, then you are considered to be an “international student.” If you are a U.S. citizen but live in another country, you are not an international student and will be required to show proof of health insurance.
*Insurance rates are estimated and subject to change.
Still Have Questions?
Please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will be happy to assist you.