Spanish Language Institute
The Spanish Language Institute at Georgetown Summer School combines world-class educational course offerings with experiential learning opportunities and provides students with an in-depth understanding of both the Spanish language and culture.
Classes are small and you will benefit from individual attention inside and outside the classroom. You will learn from only the most experienced, dedicated, and diverse faculty, who use current techniques and incorporate technology-based instruction.
Courses are supplemented with experiential activities to expose you to the culture and history of Spain and Portugal outside of the classroom, which might include the following:
- Gather for weekly pizza hours for a fun and casual snack while practicing your language skills with each other and the faculty and staff of the institute.
- Participate in activities structured around entertainment, which include seeing Spanish films and eating at local Spanish restaurants.
- Attend Spanish plays and listen to live Spanish music at The Kennedy Center.
- Visit local embassies and museums featuring Hispanic exhibits.
- Learn from real-time and on-demand current media resources as well as the latest classroom language learning technology in the CNDLS Language Lab.
By the end of the summer, students in this institute will have had rigorous academic study complemented by repeated practice of the language and exposure to authentic cultural experiences.
Intensive and Non-intensive Options
Intensive language courses offer 3 hours of daily instructional contact for 5 days and award 6 credits.
Non-intensive language courses offer 1.5 hours of daily contact for 5 days and award 3 credits.
Language Course Offerings
Course offerings range from Beginning Spanish to Advanced Spanish in both intensive and non-intensive formats. Students will learn about the culture and practical usage of the language in courses such as The Contemporary Latin American Short Story and Creative Writing or Academic Writing.
- Georgetown students are not required to apply; however, they must complete the pre-registration process.
- Placement exams are required for any Georgetown student who has never taken any Spanish language classes at Georgetown.
- All visiting students must complete the general admissions requirements.
- Placement exams are required for visiting students with previous experience and study. Placement exams are administered through Blackboard, so visiting students must wait until they are admitted and have a university netID and password before they request the placement exam. To request the placement exam, please contact the Spanish department at (202) 687-6134.
- Registration for introductory or basic-level courses can be done online through MyAccess.
- Any language courses beyond the introductory level must be coordinated through the Spanish Language Institute after completing the placement exam.
See Registration Process for more information.
See Tuition and Fees for more information on scholarships, policies, refunds, and loans.
There are no courses available for the filter settings you have chosen. Please adjust the filters and try again.
Summer School for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Summer School 2015
- Pre-SessionMay 18 to June 12, 2015
- Session IJune 1 to July 3, 2015
- Cross SessionJune 1 to July 24, 2015
- Session IIJuly 6 to August 7, 2015
- Summer School Courses Downtown
- Summer School Courses Online
I am ready to apply
I am a visiting student and am ready to apply.
Current Student or
Already Accepted? Or see the next steps for registration >