Mission and Learning Goals
Mission Statement: Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
The mission of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program is to provide a high-quality undergraduate education, rooted in the liberal studies approach and the Jesuit tradition of forming “women and men for others,” to non-traditional students in the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area.
The program's course offerings are of the same quality as the course offerings of Georgetown University's traditional programs, but are tailored to meet the intellectual and practical needs of non-traditional students.
A graduate of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program will be able to:
- Formulate and defend a coherent intellectual argument in oral and written form.
- Collect, assess and synthesize evidence relevant to an issue or question.
- Act with intellectual integrity.
- Identify and evaluate the ethical dimensions of an issue.
- Describe principal elements of Western civilization’s intellectual tradition.
- Apply the Western civilization’s intellectual tradition in analyzing current issues.
- Identify the key intellectual contributions of non-Western societies.
- Relate the principal academic tenets of the student's chosen degree concentration.