Center for Continuing and Professional Education


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

International Students

Programs and Classes

Tuition and Payment

Location and Parking

International Students

I am an international student. Can I register for courses and programs at the Center for Continuing and Professional Education?

Yes, anyone with a valid visa and legal status to be in the U.S. may register for courses. This includes individuals with B-1, F-1, and J-1 visas. See below about visas.

I am an international student. Can the Center for Continuing and Professional Education assist with my visa documents?  Will CCPE support my visa application?

Since our certificates programs are classified as part-time and non-degree programs (i.e. short-term training), the university cannot sponsor international students for F-1 student visas or J-1 visas. As a result, the Center for Continuing and Professional Education does not provide assistance with F-1 or J-1 visa application. There is no exception to this policy because it is federal immigration law.

However, any person with legal visa status in the U.S. may enroll in CCPE certificate programs. The U.S. has a Visa Waiver Program (VWP) with a select number of countries. Under VWP, visitors from these countries can enter the U.S. for up to 90 days without a visa. Prospective students can enter the U.S. under the VWP as long as the purpose of visit is valid. Valid purposes include business-related activities such as attending short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the U.S. with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay). For more on the VWP, including a list of eligible countries, visit the U.S. State Department Visa Waiver Program website.

For prospective students who are not from an VWP-eligible country, it is possible to apply for a B-1 visa for business travel. Visit the U.S. Department of State Business Visa Center for more information. Training is a permitted business purpose to enter the U.S. CCPE can provide a Letter of Enrollment after the student has registered and paid for courses.

Where can I stay while I am taking courses? Can I stay on campus?

Where you stay depends on your circumstances. Some students stay in local hotels for short-term courses, some students opt for long-term housing such as service apartments, and some stay with family and friends. It is the student's responsibility to secure appropriate housing during their term of study. Georgetown University does not provide housing for non-credit students. To discuss options, please contact the Center for Continuing & Professional Education at (202) 687-7000 or email

Programs and Classes

What are the advantages of getting a certificate?

Georgetown's name is recognized worldwide for its academic and professional programs. A certificate from Georgetown is a worthwhile investment for the working professional because, unlike a full-time post-baccalaureate or masters program, a CCPE certificate allows students to gain a valuable and targeted skill set over a shorter period of time while working.

Moreover, according to a study by the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce, professional certificates have become increasingly more popular and valuable. Certificates currently make up 22% of postsecondary credentials compared to just 6% in 1980. A recent study conducted by Empowered Careers, a division of UCLA Extension, and Impulse Research Corp shows that hiring managers are becoming increasingly comfortable with applicants seeking to change or enhance their careers through completion of certificate programs. According to the study, 82% of human resources managers and recruiters said obtaining a certificate is one of the best ways for professionals to keep current or upgrade their job market skills, and 89% said obtaining a certificate is a helpful step in changing careers. Additionally, 75% of HR managers stated that if a job candidate cannot find work in a related field, they would consider a certificate program a good alternative for gaining related work experience.

How much course work is required outside of the classroom?

CCPE programs usually meet on weeknights and Saturdays, or once a month for two or three consecutive days. Because our programs are not full-time and do not meet as frequently as a traditional credit class, time spent in the classroom is valuable and enhanced through intense study of outside readings and projects. Each program varies in the amount of work expected to be completed outside the classroom, but all courses require completing coursework from case studies, books, journal articles, group projects, and other materials. Some certificate programs such as the Leadership Coaching program can expect capstone projects involving specific fieldwork to be completed by the end of the program.

How much experience is required if a student does not have a degree?

Although a bachelor's degree is listed as a requirement for all CCPE courses and programs, the requirement may be waived if a student has extensive work experience in the industry. These cases are treated on an individual basis and are discussed directly with the program manager and associate dean. In addition to completing a Statement of Purpose, prospective students who do not have a bachelor's degree may be required to complete a telephone interview with the associate dean or program director.

Does CCPE offer programs and courses on evenings or weekends for professionals who cannot miss work?

CCPE's mission is centered around helping our students advance or change career paths. Our student body consists of working professionals so we understand the busy lives of our students.  We attempt to schedule courses at different times so that students have options and flexibility.  Many courses are offered on weeknight evenings and Saturdays. Some courses, especially in the Leadership Coaching and Organizational Consulting field, are offered during weekdays because of the highly experiential nature of the curriculum.  Many students in these programs can miss work because they have agreements with their employers to attend class as a means to enhance their professional development. Some employers offer tuition reimbursement for the students upon successful completion of the program. Please read more about funding resources.

Can I register for a course that is full or has already started?

CCPE courses are designed to be productive and meaningful learning experiences for all students. Once a course or program reaches maximum enrollment or closes for registration, additional enrollments affect course preparation and instructor-student interaction. 

Courses are offered frequently, so please check the website for additional course availability or contact the CCPE office to be added to the course waiting list.  Courses and programs may also be offered as customized offerings to staff or a select group of employees at an organization. Learn more here.

Does CCPE offer online courses?

Yes, we do offer a growing number of online courses and programs. All online courses are asynchronous so that students do not need to meet online at a specific time each week. Our online courses are faculty-guided and competency-based, and all course work submitted online through Canvas, our online course management platform. More information for online students can be found here.

Tuition and Payment

What is the payment process if my employer will reimburse me for classes?

Many employers now offer tuition reimbursement benefits to their employees based on successful completion of course work. This means that if a student does not successfully complete a course, or for some reasons drops out of a course, the University is not paid. For this reason, any arrangements made between a student and his/her employer for tuition reimbursement or payment are strictly between those two parties. Payment for your student account will still be due upon enrollment and any money that your employer chooses to reimburse will be paid directly to you.

What is the payment process if my employer will guarantee payment?

If your employer guarantees payment for employee training, we will accept a training authorization form. This is basically an invoice that tells how much the employer is willing to pay and the address to which the bill for tuition should be sent. Students who have third-party sponsorship or training authorizations should submit their forms upon registration. Please submit an Intent to Pay form indicating an employer or other third party should be billed for tuition. No invoice will be generated without an Intent to Pay form on file.

How can my employer or sponsor submit tuition payment by credit card once I am registered?

Please download and submit the Credit Card Authorization Form to submit payment by credit card after you are registered in a CCPE course.

What does the Center for Continuing and Professional Education offer in terms of financial aid and/or payment plans?

The Center for Continuing and Professional Education does not offer any financial aid or assistance for non-credit professional certificate programs and courses. Students may seek financial assistance or loans from private financial institutions. While CCPE can provide proof of registration and accreditation, students are responsible for identifying and securing financial assistance on their own.

CCPE offers interest-free payment plans for certificate programs and course registrations with a total value greater than $4,000.00. If you are eligible for an interest-free payment plan, tuition payment is normally divided into four monthly payments with the first payment (down payment) due at the time of registration.

Where can I find tax information?

The IRS does not require Georgetown University to file Form 1098-T for any amount paid for courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program. Students will need to rely on other records to substantiate their claims for education credits. You may still qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit if your class(es) is/are part of a postsecondary degree program or taken to acquire or improve job skills. Visit the section below on Tax Forms to retrieve the appropriate IRS instructions. If you have any questions, consult your tax advisor.

Tax Forms:

You can get forms and publications from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Web site. The following links will take you to the IRS download site. Note: All files are in PDF format unless otherwise indicated. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these files.

I logged into the MY SCS Non-Credit Portal and see that a block has been placed on my account.  Why has this happened? What should I do?

Please review the Student Registration Blocks and Unpaid Balances Policy.

Location and Parking

Where is the Georgetown University Center for Continuing and Professional Education located?

The Center for Continuing and Professional Education is located at 640 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001.

View Larger Map

Where will my classes be held?

After registering for a course or program, you will receive an email stating the exact location of your course. Most classes are held at 640 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20001. Some classes may be held on the Georgetown University main campus.

Where can I park when I visit CCPE?

Parking is available around the Georgetown University Downtown Campus. For more information about locations and rates, see Getting Here.  

Is there public transportation to Georgetown University?

The Center for Continuing and Professional Education (CCPE) is accessible by Metro Rail, Metro Bus, and the Circulator Bus. For more information about public transportation options, please see Getting Here

Georgetown University also offers a transportation shuttle called the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle (GUTS). Please click here for more information and schedules about GUTS.

Connect with us

Certificate Programs Information Fair

May 24, 2017 12:00 PM - 1:30 PM Details

Professional Certificate Programs News and Highlights