The field of financial planning is experiencing healthy growth. According to the U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Outlook Handbook (2010-2011), employment opportunities for financial planners are projected to increase "faster-than-average" (30 percent) through 2018. Growth is expected to remain strong as baby boomers retire, financial products develop in complexity, tax laws change, and the industry regulations increase.
The Certificate in Financial Planning is offered in collaboration with Kaplan Schweser. This distinct program, taught by renowned faculty, requires nine months of rigorous part-time study. Georgetown University is registered with Certified Financial Planning Board of Standards Inc. to fulfill the education requirements of the CFP® certification.*
- Established financial professionals
- Working professionals entering the field
Program participants will
- Develop as informed, competent, and ethical financial planners and leaders in the financial planning industry.
- Acquire the knowledge, skills, and ability to advise individuals, families, and small businesses.
- Prepare for the CFP® exam.
- Successful completion of six required courses.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete all courses in sequence to earn a certificate.
- Students must complete the program within a two-year time period.
Program Structure and Content:
- This program contains six required courses that that focus on the theory and practice of personal financial planning.
- The minimum program completion time is 9 months. The maximum completion time is 2 years.
- Core competencies in insurance, investing, taxation, retirement planning, and estate planning are developed in addition to the discussion of ethical and professional issues faced by financial planners.
- Fundamentals of Financial Planning and Insurance Planning is available for state continuing education insurance credits.
- Classes meet on Friday evenings and Saturdays. Meeting times may vary. Please see individual courses below for precise meeting times each semester.
Registration, Tuition, and Costs:
- This certificate is an open enrollment program. No application is required.
- Total program tuition is $6,225.00.
- Register for courses by clicking the links below.
- Register for all six Spring 2013 courses in one transaction and enter the discount code B27pga32 to receive 50% off the Capstone Course in Financial Planning. This reduces the total certificate tuition to $5,600.
- An interest-free payment plan can divide tuition into three installments between registration and program completion. Please see our Funding Resources page for more information.
- Additional materials and costs.
- The cost of textbooks is not included in the price of tuition. Textbooks cost approximately $1,000.00.
- A financial calculator is also required at a cost of approximately $80.00.
- This program is eligible for VA benefits. For more information about funding, please visit our Funding Resources page.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
- A minimum of three years of professional work experience is preferred, though exceptions are possible.
- A TOEFL examination for non-native speakers of English is not required but students are expected to read, write and comprehend English at the graduate level to fully participate in and gain from the program.
- Computer and internet access. Most exams in the program are administered online. Therefore, access to a computer with internet connectivity is a program requirement.
- Any requests for exceptions to these requirements must be made in writing to the program director at CCPE.
For more information or to speak with a program advisor, please complete the Request More Information Form, email email@example.com, or call (202) 687-7000.
|Northern Virginia Workforce
Investment Board Benefits Eligible?
*Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the marks , CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER®, and CFP® in the U.S., which it awards to individuals who successfully complete initial and ongoing certification requirements.
CCPE does not certify individuals to use the CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNING®, and certification marks. CFP certification is granted only by Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. to those persons who, in addition to completing an educational requirement such as this CFP Board-Registered Program, have met its ethics, experience and examination requirements.
The Georgetown University Center for Continuing and Professional Education is an educational affiliate of the Financial Planning Association National Capital Area Chapter.
Required Courses:Capstone Course in Financial Planning
Estate Tax Planning
Fundamentals of Financial Planning and Insurance Planning
Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
Retirement and Employee Benefits
Taxation of Persons, Property and Other Entities