The emphasis of the course will be on the skills and knowledge needed to successfully manage an organization. This course is especially useful for those newly promoted to supervisory and managerial positions within the private, public, or federal sector. Prior to the first class, participants will receive a syllabus listing the required textbooks and delineating the required readings and case studies.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Concepts of strategic and tactical organizational planning
- Organizational design and structure to achieve company objectives
- Goal setting and leadership skills
- Employee motivational approaches
- Conflict management
- Interpersonal communication
- Staffing and supervising processes
- Performance appraisal; group and team management
- Management development and employee training
- Positive employer employee relations
- Management in a global environment
- Employee due process mechanisms in the nonunion firm
- Nonunion complaint and grievance procedures; management ethics
- Concepts of controlling and control systems.
Upon completion of this course, successful students will be able to:
- Describe skills needed to successfully manage an organization.
- Apply concepts of strategic and tactical organizational planning.
- Implement employee motivational approaches and conflict management skills.
- Describe common performance appraisal processes.
- Understand group and team management, management development, and employee training.
- Describe principles of management in a global environment.
- Describe concepts of controlling and control systems.
This course is an open enrollment course. No application is required and registration is available by clicking "Add to Cart" below.
Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students must first create an account and password through the Student Portal prior to registration. After your account is created, you will receive your Georgetown NetID via email. When you have your Georgetown NetID and password, continue registration by clicking "Add to Cart", logging in, and following the steps to complete checkout. Course registration is complete when payment is processed and you receive a confirmation email.
Georgetown NetID Password Reset
If you have forgotten or do not have your Georgetown University NetID password, please contact the University Information Systems (UIS) 24/7 IT Helpdesk to have your password reset.
For more information or to speak with a program advisor, please complete the Request More Information Form, send an email to email@example.com, or call (202) 687-8700.