Forensic ScienceBack to Science Institutes
This Institute will run on the following days:
July 20 - July 27, 2014
Test your critical thinking skills by collecting and interpreting evidence as you explore the application of science and medicine in law enforcement. Learn about all aspects of forensic science from professionals in the field — including investigators, detectives, special agents, medico-legal death investigators, crime scene technicians, pathologists and lawyers. Interact with federal, state and local agencies from crime laboratories to law enforcement agencies while exploring the extraordinary forensic science resources of the nation’s capital. Topics such as corporate fraud, computer forensics and video forensic analysis will be addressed, as well as the ethical dimensions of issues faced by security professionals including loyalty, privacy and the use of technology in a global environment.
Core Topics Covered*
- Computer forensics
- Blood spatter analysis
- Geographic profiling
- Medical examinations
- Gang member investigations
- Terrorism investigations
- Meet with forensic practitioners
- Interact with guest speakers from agencies such as the explosives lab at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (AFT)
- Visit the crime scene analysis lab at the Metropolitan Police Department
- Visit the Museum of Crime and Punishment.
- Hear from detectives who have solved high-profile murder cases, special agents from the FBI's evidence response team and forensic evidence investigators.
8:00 – 9:00 a.m. Breakfast in the Dining Hall
9:15 – 10:30 a.m. Introduction to Criminal Law
10:45 – 12:15 p.m. Forensic Pathology and Death Investigation
12:30 – 1:30 p.m. Lunch
2:00 – 5:00 p.m. Visit to Virginia Dept. of Forensic Science Northern Laboratory
5:00 – 6:00 p.m. Discussion Section
6:15 – 7:00 p.m. Dinner in the Dining Hall
7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Capstone Project: Learning About Lab Analysis of Evidence
* Core topics, hands-on experience and sample day are subject to change.
At a Glance
- Jun 8 - Aug 3, 2014
- Dates vary
- 8 days
- Tuition - $2,595
(includes tuition, housing, and meals)