The Certificate in Corporate Finance program is designed to introduce students to the theory and practice of corporate finance as well as foundational tools and techniques for sound financial analysis and decision-making.
Taught by academics and experienced financial practitioners, the program focuses on the core functions of a corporate financial manager, including risk management in the context of risk and return. Particular emphasis is placed on understanding the Time Value of Money (TVoM), including future and present values concepts; interest rates as indicators of the price of money in the market; and basic risk measurement tools such as standard deviation and Beta.
Students will gain an in-depth understanding of core financial concepts and practices, financial statement analysis, the discounted cash flow (DCF) methodology (using TVoM), different types of financing, and the net present value (NPV) method for projects analysis. Students will also review cash management processes and build financial models.
Students interested in budgeting, cost management, and internal controls may wish to consider the Certificate in Budget & Finance.
Upon completion of this program the successful student should able to:
- Understand the basics of corporate finance and main tools for decision-making.
- Construct financial statements including the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows, including how they are inter-related.
- Read and interpret basic and complex financial statements for decision-making
- Compute financial calculations such as future values (FV) and present values (PV), including FV and PV of annuities, as well as discounted cash flow (using Time Value of Money).
- Understand the basics of risk and return relationship.
- Compute standard deviation and utilize the outcome for decision-making.
- Understand the concept of Beta and utilize it for decision-making.
- Compute the Net Present Value (for project analysis).
- Understand the basic techniques of cash management.
- Build financial models for analysis and forecasting.
- Mid-level managers and supervisors with financial responsibilities;
- Employees working in the financial services industry;
- Accounting and finance professionals responsible for financial reporting, auditing, etc;
- Federal agency employees with direct or indirect regulatory responsibilities;
- Prospective business school students or those considering the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam.
Career & Occupational Outlook
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, demand for financial analysts will grow 16% (faster than average) through 2022 while demand for management analysts will grow 19% (faster than average) through 2022. Prospective students are strongly encouraged to research salary expectations at salary.com and glassdoor.com.
This certificate is an open enrollment program. No application is required and registration is available by clicking the course links below. Current students must register with their Georgetown NetID and password. New students must first create an account and password through the Student Portal prior to registration. After your account is created, you will receive a Georgetown NetID via email. When you have your Georgetown NetID and password, continue registration by clicking "Add to Cart" on the course registration page, logging in, and following the steps to complete checkout. Course registration is complete when payment is processed and you receive a confirmation email.
Students must successfully complete seven (7) courses, including five (5) required and two (2) elective courses, for a total of 12.60 CEUs (Continuing Education Units) or 126.0 contact hours to receive the Certificate in Corporate Finance from Georgetown University. All seven courses must be completed within a two-year period.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Excel.
- A TOEFL examination for non-native speakers of English is not required but students are expected to read, write and comprehend English at the graduate level to fully participate in and gain from the program.
- Any requests for exceptions to these requirements must be made in writing to the program director at CCPE.
Tuition for each course is $895.00. Total program tuition for all seven courses is $6,265.00. Students can register and pay for courses separately or register for all seven courses at one time. Payment is due at time of registration. Withdrawals and refunds are processed based on the Withdrawal and Refund Policy.
This program also qualifies for Veterans Affairs Benefits for eligible students.
Tuition Payment Considerations
While non-credit professional certificate programs do not qualify for federal financial aid, prospective students should consider the following for tuition payment:
- Seek employer funding or reimbursement
- Enroll in our interest-free payment plan
- Use Veterans Affairs (VA) Benefits/ GI Bill
- Apply for a private education loan
- Register for individual courses over multiple semesters
Program Format & Schedule
Courses meet Friday evenings and Saturdays. Occasionally, courses may meet on weekdays during the day or evening. Generally, all courses are offered each semester, though some courses may be available in the spring or fall semester only. Refer to individual course pages below for schedules.
Most course materials are included in the cost of tuition. Course materials will be distributed in digital format and accessible through Blackboard, Georgetown's learning management system. Students must have a laptop or tablet computer to access course materials.
Non-credit professional certificate programs are classified as part-time education programs. As a result, Georgetown University cannot sponsor international students for student visas (F-1) to enroll in certificate programs. However, prospective international students who enter the U.S. on a valid visa are eligible to enroll in courses. For more about travel visas, please see the section on international students under Frequently Asked Questions.
For more information or to speak with a program advisor, please complete the Request More Information Form, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (202) 687-8700. Interested students are also encouraged to RSVP for an upcoming information session.
|Schedule Note: Please note that students must first successfully complete Corporate Finance (XCPD-684) before registering for International Finance (XCPD-504), Financial Modeling in Excel (XFIN-656), or Derivatives & Hedging (XCPD-687). See individual course pages for specific information. All other courses may be completed in any sequence. |
|Course Name ||Semester ||Dates ||Schedule ||Tuition |
|Business Accounting ||Summer 2014 ||July 10, 11, 14 ||Thu & Fri 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Mon 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Corporate Finance ||Summer 2014 ||July 15, 16, 17 ||Tues, Wed, Thu 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Business Statistics ||Summer 2014 ||July 18, 21, 22 ||Fri 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM, Mon & Tue 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Corporate Finance ||Summer 2014 ||Aug 1, 2, 8, 9 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Corporate Finance ||Fall 2014 ||Sept 19, 20, 26, 27 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Business Accounting ||Fall 2014 ||Oct 1, 4, 8, 11 ||Wed 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Business Accounting ||Fall 2014 ||Oct 15, 22, 29; Nov 5, 12, 19 ||Wed 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM ||$895.00 |
|Financial Modeling in Excel ||Fall 2014 ||Oct 17, 18, 24, 25 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Financial Statement Analysis ||Fall 2014 ||Oct 31; Nov 1, 7, 8 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Business Statistics ||Fall 2014 ||Nov 4, 11, 18, 25; Dec 2, 9 ||Tue 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM ||$895.00 |
|International Finance ||Fall 2014 ||Nov 14, 15, 21, 22 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Capital Markets and Valuations ||Fall 2014 ||Dec 5, 6, 12, 13 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |
|Derivatives & Hedging ||Fall 2014 ||Dec 5, 6, 12, 13 ||Fri 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM, Sat 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM ||$895.00 |