Summer Sessions for Undergraduate and Graduate Students


Application, Enrollment, and Registration Information
Courses, Programs, and Grades
Financial Information
Services and Student Life

Application, Enrollment, and Registration Information

Who can take classes at Georgetown?

  • Newly admitted or continuing undergraduate and graduate students in good standing at Georgetown.
  • Undergraduate and graduate students in good standing at other colleges and universities, with submission of application and official transcript(s).
  • Students from Consortium schools in Washington, DC may apply as visiting students or register as Consortium students with the approval of their Consortium Coordinator.
  • High school students, recommended by their principals or guidance counselors, who will have completed at least their freshman year with a B average or better at the time of enrollment, and whose high school program applications are approved by the Associate Dean of the Summer Sessions.
  • International students who can provide evidence of a minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based test), 225 (computer-based test), 90 (iBT), or a minimum IELTS score of 7.0.  English can only be considered the native language if it is the only official language of the applicant's home country and the primary language spoken in the applicant's home.  Please note:  The standards cannot be waived by the Admissions Office.  Students should plan well in advance to complete the tests and allow time for the Admissions Office (institution code 5986) to receive the results.  Official WES ( or ECE ( evaluations of all transcripts from outside the United States are required.  TOEFL scores are required of all applicants for those whose native language is not English (regardless of citizenship). International applicants must also complete the International Student Questionnaire.  Please see the section "International Students" for detailed information.

Please note: Any student who has been suspended or dismissed from, and not formally readmitted to, any school within Georgetown may not register without the written permission of his/her former Dean.

Please note: Acceptance to Georgetown Summer Sessions does not constitute or imply acceptance as a degree candidate in any school or division of Georgetown.

How many sessions are offered at Georgetown during the summer?

We offer six sessions in the summer:

  • The four-week Pre-Session offers intensive courses that run from late May through early June.
  • The First and Second Sessions are five-week courses in June and July, respectively.
  • The Cross Session offers eight-week courses.
  • The 1st and 2nd 6-week sessions are six-week courses starting in May and June. These sessions are exclusively open to select graduate departments. 

What are the requirements for undergraduates and graduate students to participate in the program?

Georgetown Students

  • Georgetown students in good standing should pre-register online through MyAccess during pre-registration.
  • Once your pre-registration requests have been approved and you are enrolled for summer courses, you may add/drop online through MyAccess or via an Add/Drop Form obtained from the University Registrar.

See the Add/Drop section on the Academic Policies page for more information.
See Registration Process for more information.

Visiting Students

Visiting students must be in good standing and must apply. "Good standing" is defined as a minimum GPA of 2.0 for undergraduate students and a minimum 3.0 for graduate students.

See How to Apply for more information.

Are the requirements the same for high school students?

High school students must follow the application procedure for the Summer Programs for High School Students.

What are the application requirements for international students?

See International Students for more information and deadlines.

When does registration open and close?

Registration opens for all students on February 6.  
See Registration Process for more information.
See Synopsis of Dates for important deadlines. 

I am a visiting student.  How will I know if I have been admitted?

Upon receipt of your completed application by the Summer Sessions Office, your admission eligibility will be reviewed.  Once you have been accepted into Summer Sessions, you will be contacted by e-mail and your admissions letter will be posted to your VIP page in ApplyYourself.  

If you have not received any correspondence from us within four weeks of submitting your application materials, please contact the Summer Sessions Admissions Office to enquire about your application status.

Will taking a Georgetown Summer Sessions course increase my chances of being accepted as a degree candidate to Georgetown?

No.  Georgetown Summer Sessions cannot guarantee admission into any degree programs or schools within the University after taking one of our classes.

Whom do I notify about a change of address?

To ensure prompt delivery of correspondence, please update your contact information by using MyAccess.

What if I need to withdraw from the program entirely?

See the Withdrawal from a Course section on the Academic Policies page.


Courses, Programs, and Grades

Can I audit classes at the Georgetown Summer Sessions?

See Auditing Classes section on the Academic Policies page.

What is the maximum number of courses/credits I can take?

  • You can take one course during the Pre-Session and no more than 7 credits in both the First and/or Second Sessions. However, if you take one course in the Pre-Session, you can only take one course in the First Session since the two sessions overlap.
  • Visiting students who would like to take more than the full load must get permission from the Associate or Assistant Dean of the Summer Sessions.
  • Georgetown students must have their summer loads approved by their Dean's Office. 

Can I take a science course without taking the lab?  Can I take only the lab section of a course?

Yes.  It is possible to take only a lecture or only a lab in our chemistry and physics courses, but you must obtain permission of the instructor before registering. 

How do I request a transcript?  Will my credits transfer?

To request a transcript, please print out the Transcript Request Form and send or fax it to the University Registrar.  If you have paid your Summer Sessions bill in full, then you have completed payment of the one-time transcript fee.

I have already submitted my application but now want to take different classes.  What do I do?

You are not obligated to register for the classes that you have listed on your application, and we do not automatically register students for the classes they list on their application. Students can use MyAccess to add or drop courses within the designated add/drop period in each session.  If you are not able to drop online, you can fill out an Add/Drop Form available in the University Registrar.  See Add/Drop section on the Academic Policies page for more information.

Do summer courses have prerequisites?

Some courses do have prerequisites.  Prerequisites will be listed in course descriptions or in course comments via the online schedule of classes.

When are final exams held?

Final exams are usually given on the final day of class, unless your professor tells you otherwise.

How do I purchase my books for summer courses?

  • Once you have received your syllabus on the first day of class, there are a couple of ways to get your textbooks.  The first is to stop by the University Bookstore on the main campus.
  • The second option is to buy your books online at the bookstore's website.

What happens if the course(s) I want to take are cancelled?

Although we do our best to run every course that is offered, we do occasionally have to cancel classes due to low enrollment, instructor schedule changes, or other circumstances beyond our control. We will notify you by e-mail before the class begins if your class has been cancelled.  You may enroll in another open course at that time. 


Financial Information

Are scholarships available for students?

Yes, partial scholarships based on course enrollment are available to visiting students through the Summer Sessions.  Georgetown students must apply for summer financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Services.

See Tuition and Fees for more detailed information.

How do I pay my bill?

  • The Office of Billing and Payment Services accepts payments by cash, check, electronic check, wire, or credit card.  Payments may be made in person, by mail, or, if you are using a credit card, by fax.
  • If you want to pay by credit card, you must include the credit card number, expiration date of the card, amount to be charged, type of credit card, name of cardholder, and the signature of the cardholder and date.

See Tuition and Fees for more information.


Services and Student Life

As a Summer Sessions student, will I get a network computing account?  University ID card?

  • When you are admitted into Summer Sessions, you will receive an email from the School of Continuing Studies with instructions for obtaining your NetID and temporary password.  Your Georgetown e-mail is your, and you should check your Georgetown e-mail throughout the summer for correspondence from faculty and the Summer Sessions.
  • Visiting students must also obtain a Georgetown GOCard.  Information about the GOCard will be e-mailed to all admitted visiting students.

Is on-campus housing available for Summer Sessions students?


See Accepted Students for information regarding housing at Georgetown over the summer months.

Are meal plans available for summer students?

Yes.  Please visit Dining Services for information on summer meal plans.

See Accepted Students for more information.  

Is on-campus parking available for Summer Sessions students?

No.  On-campus parking is not available for summer students.  Parking in the Georgetown community is extremely limited.  Two-hour street parking is sometimes available, but we highly recommend students take advantage of the Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle, which provides service from nearby Metrorail stations and other locations to Main Campus.

See Accepted Students for more information.



If you have any questions not covered here, please do not hesitate to contact the Summer Sessions Office.