Georgetown University’s Master of Professional Studies in Public Relations and Corporate Communications (PRCC) program has been chosen as PRWeek’s 2014 “Program of the Year.” This is Georgetown’s third consecutive win and sixth consecutive nomination.
“They say good things come in threes – for us that is our students, faculty and team,” said Denise Keyes, senior associate dean of Georgetown’s winning program.
The PRWeek award is the top education honor in the industry. Dean Keyes accepted the award at a gala ceremony in New York City on March 20, 2014.
‘Always on the Cutting Edge’
According to the PRWeek judges, “Georgetown University continues to cement its reputation as one of the world’s premier communications programs. It has true innovation baked into its core.”
The judges were impressed by several aspects of Georgetown’s program:
- Student Diversity: “Applications for the fall semester increased nearly 25% from the prior year, with 14% of students hailing from 15 countries outside the US.”
- Faculty Expertise: “98% percent of the faculty has held executive- or senior-level posts in PR, so students are able to work with true thought leaders.”
- New Courses: “Always on the cutting edge of the industry, new course offerings for this year included visual storytelling and digital crisis management.”
- New Facilities: “Demonstrating its investment in the future, the program recently moved into new state-of-the-art facilities that include an innovation lab and a broadcast studio.”
- Industry Connections: “The first iteration of the program’s Brand Collaborative was launched last year with Volkswagen of America [and Georgetown students have] worked with more than 175 client organizations including Under Armour, the NFL Players Association and the Humane Society of the United States.”
- Results: “81% of graduates from the past year currently work in PR or closely related fields.”
The popularity of the Georgetown PRCC program has grown in recent years, based largely on its in-demand course offerings. Another draw is the faculty, highly regarded leaders from firms like Edelman, Weber Shandwick, Felishman-Hillard, Allstate and AARP.
Students gain a global perspective on communications and public relations while learning to think strategically, present creative ideas and develop metrics to measure success. The applied curriculum prepares them to address critical business objectives and become leaders in the digital world.
Georgetown PRCC students form a tight-knit community of passionate communication professionals who are personally invested in their colleagues' success. Student committees, fellowships and real-world client challenges provide them with multiple opportunities to engage in dynamic networks while the new downtown campus of the School of Continuing Studies places them steps away from the top public relations and communications firms in Washington, D.C.
About the PRWeek Awards
PRWeek awards are considered the highest accolades in the public relations industry. Every year, teams in education, corporate, non-profit and agency are applauded for excellence in public relations practice.