Samuel Gordy, MBA
Chevy Chase, MD ● 703.485.7363 ● firstname.lastname@example.org ● LinkedIn
Business Executive ● Federal MARKET
High-Energy Strategic Leadership Behind Turnarounds, Spinoffs, & Growth
Turnarounds: For IBM, quickly assessed performance status of all brands and verticals—Government, Public, Industry—and pivoted go-to-market strategy and staffing structures, returning market to growth for nine consecutive quarters, consistently outperforming all other IBM North American markets.
Spinoffs: For Leidos, served as one of five senior leaders on Corporate Redesign team, shaping new vision, strategy, line and functional structures, and cost targets for new $5B company, split from SAIC.
Growth: For SAIC, 20+ years of executive leadership, building systems development and technical support services into $1.2B powerhouse. For IBM, returned the IBM $2.5B Federal Market to growth
Federal Industry Business Leader
Deep Mission Expertise
Connecting Advanced Technology to Customer Missions
Building High Performing Teams with Diverse Talent
Pragmatic Strategist—Linking Vision Through Execution
Cloud, AI/ML, Digital Re-invention, Cyber
IBM | Washington, D.C. Jan 2016 – Feb 2021
GENERAL MANAGER / CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER, US Public and Federal Market | Jan 2020 – February 2021
Overview: Promoted to develop and execute go-to-market (GTM) strategy for $8B portfolio of US Federal, State, and Local Governments, Educational, and other Public clients, with focus on structuring of individual and cross-brand offerings. Spearheaded effort to win the new $59B, 15-year Intelligence Community Commercial Cloud Enterprise (C2E) contract.
· Portfolio Acquisitions: Drove re-entry into US Intelligence Community and Department of Defense, leveraging career-spanning experience to articulate hybrid cloud flexibility, advanced security features, and past performance.
· Strategy Development: Paved way as part of global governance planning team for innovative solutions such Cognitive Fleet Readiness, scaling results in support of Australia, UK, and other teams with key allies.
· Diversity & Inclusion: Served as executive champion to stand-up a Veteran’s Council aimed at enhancing veteran experience at IBM. Actively conveyed goals, areas of focus, and budget request to elevate recruitment and retention.
IBM GENERAL MANAGER, Federal and Government Industries, IBM | Jan 2016 – Dec 2019
Overview: Recruited to head all brand interactions—services, software, and systems—with U.S. Government and portfolio of “government industries” and return $2.5B Federal Market group to a position of growth.
· Operational Turnarounds: Re-ignited market growth within three quarters, sustaining growth for nine consecutive quarters, by resetting overall vision and ensuring operational excellence throughout entire enterprise.
· Succession Planning: Attracted new talent and shifted staff around to optimize performance to generate diverse bench of executive candidates, ensuring business continuity and retention of institutional knowledge.
· Market Leadership: Won North America (NA) Challenger Cup five out of seven quarters, leading all other NA markets in growth.
· Program Delivery: Deployed world’s two fastest supercomputers—200 quadrillion calculations per second— achieving revenue goals by re-negotiating acceptance criteria with client—the Department of Energy (DOE).
Leidos| Reston, VA Aug 2013 – Jan 2016
GROUP PRESIDENT, Integrated Systems Group
Overview: Influenced strategy leading up to and following spin-off from SAIC. Served as one of five senior leaders on newly-formed Corporate Design Team. Helped formulate company vision, line structures, cost targets, and goals.
· Executive Leadership: Led the largest Group in Leidos, presiding over three highest growth markets: Cybersecurity, Command and Control, and Intelligence Systems and Logistics, covering 25% of entire company.
· Profitability Metrics: Exceeded EBITDA goals, guiding newly-formed $1.4B organization to the highest Group profitability in first year and infusing new dimensions of service and culture across the company.
SAIC | Tyson’s Corner, VA
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER, Integrated Systems Group | Aug 2009 – Aug 2013
Overview: Selected to preside over systems development and technical support services group comprised of 2,600+ professional staff with annual revenues of $1.2B. Focused on use of intelligence in decision making process.
· Strategic Planning: Paved way for $5B split of civil and defense business, working day and night to help build Leidos from ground up, including functional elements such as Legal, Human Resources, and Finance.
· Client Relations: Strengthened ties with Department of Defense (DoD), all 17 Intelligence Community agencies, and array of military services and combatant commands.
VICE PRESIDENT & OPERATIONS MANAGER, Geospatial Intelligence Engineering, SAIC – Jun 2006 – Aug 2009
Overview: Advanced from Deputy Operations Manager of Imagery Solutions to oversee three separate divisions. Headed all technical activities of organization, client management, and delivery of top- and bottom-line financial goals.
· Optimizing Additional Revenue Streams: Opened way for four new contracts constituting $500M InnoVision Research and Development (R&D) Program, resulting in wins for two additional legacy contracts.
· Relationship Building: Forged climate of trust and collaboration, expanding core client set from the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA) and National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), out to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA).
VICE PRESIDENT & DIVISION MANAGER, Intelligence Plans & Operations, SAIC – Feb 2000 – Jun 2006
Overview: Promoted after successful tenure as Program Manager to mature technical offerings across portfolio of $20M annual revenue. Defined strategic direction and vision, driving execution of business development plan.
· Business Growth: Grew book of business by fostering stakeholder trust with highly-structured program reviews that minimized project scope creep, reduced costs, and ensured on-schedule deliverables.
· Team Leadership: Harnessed power from team of 95 technical staff members in delivering top-line support to the NGA, NRO, CIA, Community Management Staff (CMS), and US Air Force.
Additional Experience at SAIC
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT & PROGRAM MANAGER, SENIOR INTELLIGENCE ANALYST
Central Imagery Office/P3D Contract, Committee on Imagery Requirements and Exploitation (COMIREX)
US Navy | Deployed Strike Fighter Squadron and Task Force 168 Six Years Active Duty
INTELLIGENCE OFFICER, Contingency Strike Planning & National Collection Support
Overview: Supported combat operations during Operation Just Cause (Panama) and Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm (Kuwait). Served as Departmental Requirements Officer (DRO) advocating for US Navy imagery requirements at national level.
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
Master of Business Administration (MBA), The George Washington University – School of Business
Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service (BSFS), Georgetown University
Top Secret Security Clearance, Special Compartmentalized Intelligence (SCI) — Counterintelligence Polygraph
AFFILIATIONS & AWARDS
Board of Directors of Professional Service Council (PSC), 2016 – Present
Intelligence Committee Member of Armed Forces Communications & Electronics Association (AFCEA)
Executive Mosaic Washington 100, 2017 & 2018 | FedScoop Best Bosses in Federal IT, 2019