How to Apply
Please review the refund policies in our Student Handbook before completing your registration.
You must hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in order to enroll in our certificate programs. For each cohort, an application review committee offers admission to a diverse group of students to enrich the classroom experience.
Tips for the Online Application
- Our online application securely stores your information and saves your progress so you can update and complete your information at your convenience
- Click the “SAVE” button at each stage of the application process to ensure that your work and documents are uploaded
A complete application packet consists of the following:
- Completed online application
- A hard copy of your official university transcript for the highest degree attained
- Degrees from overseas universities must be accompanied by a transcript evaluation from a NACES-approved service
- Non-refundable $200 application fee
Requirements for Non-native English Speakers
Non-native English speakers without a degree from a university in an English-speaking country must submit their most recent official TOEFL or IELTS score. English proficiency will be confirmed prior to admission by interview and writing exam. The interview and exam will be conducted in-person at the Georgetown SCS downtown campus. Candidates who live more than 2 hours outside of Washington, D.C. may request to be tested online.
Student visas are only available for the spring semester when one-week practicum sessions are available. Non-U.S. citizens who are not currently residing in the U.S. cannot attend Saturday on-campus practicum sessions in tourist status.
Send transcripts and score reports to:
ELC Special Programs
TEFL Certificate Program
Attn: Rebecca Hart
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies
640 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001