Master of Professional Studies in Journalism
Embracing the World of Modern Media
Georgetown’s Master of Professional Studies in Journalism immerses students in the real world of 21st century media and prepares them for a variety of existing and emerging journalism careers.
The program’s comprehensive, hands-on curriculum helps students develop and master the core reporting and writing skills that are essential to journalism while emphasizing the contemporary digital and entrepreneurial skills that place them in high demand in this ever-changing world of content creation and distribution.
Georgetown’s accomplished faculty of award-winning journalists and media leaders bring their experience and expertise from the newsroom into the classroom, incorporating the latest tools, trends, and techniques into their teaching to prepare students to become forward-thinking leaders in the field.
Located in the heart of the nation’s capital, the master's in Journalism program gives students the unique opportunity to cover the dynamic and fast-paced city of Washington, D.C., and its surrounding areas. Georgetown’s state-of-the-art downtown campus is within walking distance of many of the world’s largest news organizations, where students can build their connections, attend industry events, and find high-profile internship and fellowship opportunities.
Shaping the Next Generation of Storytellers
The Journalism master's program primes students for success, providing them with a deep learning experience that equips them with the skills, experience, and opportunities they need to excel.
Journalism students become leaders in the industry and transform their careers through:
- Building the essential writing, reporting, and digital media skills necessary for a successful journalism career, both now and in the future.
- Integrating classroom learning with real-world experience through opportunities with the program’s partner organizations. Students have worked with leading media organizations through internships, fellowships, and coursework.
- Collaborating with industry innovators, media insiders, and award-winning journalists to shape the future of journalism.
- Developing a strong foundation of digital and entrepreneurial skills that is built on the core principles of accurate and fair reporting, sophisticated storytelling, and sound, ethical judgment.
- Gaining a keen understanding of the modern-day journalism industry through a hands-on curriculum that spans across mediums, platforms, and beats while incorporating cutting-edge tools, emerging trends, and of-the-moment skills.
- Mastering the art of compelling storytelling through firsthand experience in the vibrant political and cultural landscape of the nation’s capital.
“It completely changed my career path. I learned more about journalism and the industry as a whole, improved my skills, and developed an increased appreciation for the craft.”
- Lucija Millonig (G’13)