The Georgetown University Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP) is a three-week college prep program for rising high school seniors from the Cristo Rey Network and KIPP Foundation school systems and select schools, networks, and community based organizations. Designed for high-achieving students with aspirations to apply to the most selective colleges and universities, our program provides a transformational learning experience and an introduction to college life.
As a student, you’ll join 45 peers from across the country on campus at Georgetown, where you’ll spend your time engaged in a combination of class sessions, field trips, group discussions, and hands-on seminars and workshops. You’ll participate in the Georgetown Experience Seminars exploring international affairs, business, government, STEM-related fields, liberal arts, and health studies. Dive deep into your college search and leave the program with a completed college application essay, draft applications for your top college choices, a started account for the Common Application, and an action plan for submitting your college applications, financial aid, and applying for scholarships.
Outside of class, you’ll have the opportunity to attend cocurricular evening
2019 Program Dates:
- Explore the college search process and learn how to determine if a school is the right fit
- Learn from world-renowned Georgetown University faculty
- Live in residence halls and get the full college campus experience
- Explore prominent Washington, D.C., institutions and landmarks
- Interact with Georgetown University students
- Tour other local university campuses like George Washington University and Howard University
- Complete a video production project outlining success tips for future college-bound students
- Participate in a SAT and ACT test prep workshop and take a practice test
Program Format & Sample Schedule
During SCIP, you'll attend daily academic programming during the weekdays. At the end of the day, you'll have opportunities to participate in optional cocurricular events, free time, and student life activities until curfew. You'll explore the following subject areas during the program:
- Critical College Writing
- Georgetown Experience Seminars exploring the intersections of international affairs, business, government, STEM-related fields, liberal arts, and health studies
- College prep workshops
- College Search Intensive: Right Fit, Admissions & Financial Aid
- Math and reading test-taking techniques for the SAT/ACT
- Digital literacy and Public Service Announcement (PSA) Project
- June 30–July 6: Week 1
- Meet with University Admissions and Financial Aid Counselors to learn about applying to and paying for college
- Take an intensive SAT/ACT prep course
- Develop college-level study and time management skills
- Tour colleges in and around D.C.
- Participate in community-building and leadership activities
- Begin the College Search Intensive workshop
- Begin the Digital Literacy course, meet your team and start production on your PSA project
- July 7–July 13: Week 2
- Begin the Georgetown Experience Seminars and Critical College Writing course
- Continue with the College Search Intensive workshops and Digital Literacy course
- Tour Capitol Hill and meet with a member of congress and staff
- Explore the Smithsonian museums and Newseum
- July 14–July 20: Week 3
- Continue with the Georgetown Experience Seminars, Critical College Writing, College Search Intensive and Digital Literacy
- Participate in mock college admissions interviews
- Attend a closing banquet and join the network of Summer College Immersion alumni
To participate in SCIP, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a member of the Cristo Rey Network or KIPP Foundation school systems, or other invited school, network or community based organization
- Receive a nomination to apply from your principal, guidance counselor, or KIPP Through College regional advisor
- Submit a completed application
We accept applications from high-achieving rising seniors with strong GPAs, significant extracurricular involvement, and a passion for leading purposeful lives. This is a highly selective program and submitting an application does not guarantee admission. If you are interested in the program, please speak with your principal, guidance counselor, or advisor.
For more detailed information on what it takes to be a competitive applicant, please refer to our applicant profile.
All costs for SCIP are covered thanks to generous support from the Marineau Family Foundation and the Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies. As a student in the program, you will receive a $33 weekly spending allowance and a stipend of $400 upon successful completion of the program. All other program costs are covered.
How to Apply
Gather the necessary contact data for the applicant, the parent/guardian, and the college counselor/school administrator/recommender.
Obtain the application link from your designated school official and complete the student application form. View a list of the questions that will be included in the application on our blank application form.
Speak with your college counselor/school administrator/recommender to ensure he or she completes the recommendation form. Your recommender should be someone who can verify your school records and PSAT/SAT/ACT or other college entrance exam scores.
Request that your recommender submit your official transcript(s), extracurricular overview and/or resume, and any additional supporting documents to the address below or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic documents will only be accepted if they are sent by a school official via a school email address.
The deadline for the online application, recommender form, transcripts, and supporting documents is Friday, March 1, 2019. All materials must be submitted or postmarked by this date. Late submissions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, if space remains.
Mail all transcripts and supporting documents to:
Summer and Special Programs
Georgetown University: School of Continuing Studies
3307 M Street NW, Suite 202 Washington, DC 20007
SCIP is directed by a live-in leadership team and staff from Georgetown University’s School of Continuing Studies, while all courses are taught by members of Georgetown’s prestigious faculty. We also employ Georgetown undergraduates to serve as mentors for the high school students enrolled in the program. Our mentors lead reflection exercises, accompany students on field trips, serve as guides during workshops and leadership exercises, and act as advisors throughout the program and beyond.
For questions or more information, please contact us at email@example.com or (202) 687-7087.