The Georgetown University Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP) is a three-week college prep program for rising high school seniors from the Cristo Rey Network and KIPP Foundation school systems and select schools, networks, and community-based organizations. Designed for high-achieving students with aspirations to apply to the most selective colleges and universities, our program provides a transformational learning experience and an introduction to college life.
As a student, you’ll join peers from across the country on campus at Georgetown, where you’ll spend your time engaged in a combination of class sessions, field trips, group discussions, seminars, and workshops. You’ll participate in the Georgetown Experience Seminars exploring international relations, business, cybersecurity, government, STEM-related fields, liberal arts, and health studies.
2023 Program Dates:
- Learn from world-renowned Georgetown University faculty
- Live on campus in residence halls
- Participate in an SAT and ACT test prep workshop and take a practice test
- Interact with mentors from similar backgrounds who share their first-hand experience on a college campus
- Begin the “Common Application” and create an action plan for submitting your college applications, financial aid, and applying for scholarships.
- Explore the college search process and learn how to determine if a school is the right fit
- Write a Personal Statement to use for your college admissions
Program Format & Sample Schedule
During SCIP, you'll attend daily academic programming during the weekdays. You'll explore the following subject areas during the program:
- Critical College Writing
- Georgetown Experience Seminars exploring the intersections of fields like international relations, business, cybersecurity, government, STEM-related fields, liberal arts, and health studies
- College prep workshops
- College Search Intensive: Right Fit, Admissions & Financial Aid
- Math and reading test-taking techniques for the SAT/ACT
- Capstone Project
Please note the following sample schedule. All activities listed are subject to change.
- Week 1
- Meet with University Admissions and Financial Aid counselors to learn about applying to and paying for college
- Take an intensive SAT/ACT prep course
- Develop college-level study and time management skills
- Participate in community-building and leadership activities
- Begin the College Search Intensive workshop
- Week 2
- Begin the Georgetown Experience Seminars and Critical College Writing course
- Continue with the College Search Intensive workshops and Digital Literacy course
- Week 3
- Continue with the Georgetown Experience Seminars, Critical College Writing, and College Search Intensive
To participate in SCIP, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a member of the Cristo Rey Network or KIPP Foundation school systems, or other invited school, network or community-based organization
- Receive a nomination to apply from your principal, guidance counselor, or KIPP Through College regional advisor
- Submit a completed application
We accept applications from high-achieving rising seniors with strong GPAs, significant extracurricular involvement, and a passion for leading purposeful lives. This is a highly selective program and submitting an application does not guarantee admission. If you are interested in the program, please speak with your principal, guidance counselor, or advisor.
For more detailed information on what it takes to be a competitive applicant, please refer to our applicant profile.
Tuition costs for SCIP are covered thanks to generous support from the Marineau Family Foundation and the Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies. Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a stipend of $400.
How to Apply
Gather the necessary contact data for the applicant, the parent/guardian, and the college counselor/school administrator/recommender.
Obtain the application link from your designated school official and complete the student application form. View a list of the questions that will be included in the application on our blank application form.
Speak with your college counselor/school administrator/recommender to ensure they complete the recommendation form. Your recommender should be someone who can verify your school records, including GPA and class rank.
You or your recommender can submit your transcript(s), extracurricular overview and/or resume, and any additional supporting documents via our secure Box Webpage or email to email@example.com. We will only accept electronic documentation. If for any reason you are unable to submit documents electronically, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (202) 687-7087 and we will help you get your documents submitted.
The deadline for the online application, recommender form, transcripts, and supporting documents is March 1. All materials must be submitted by this date. Late submissions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
SCIP is directed by a leadership team and staff from Georgetown University’s School of Continuing Studies and all courses are taught by members of Georgetown’s prestigious faculty. We also employ Georgetown undergraduates to serve as mentors for the high school students enrolled in the program.
For questions or more information, please contact us at email@example.com or (202) 687-7087.