Leadership & Innovation in Government is a two-day workshop that takes a critical perspective on role of the federal government and civil servants in the economic growth of the U.S. and the type of leadership needed for the future.
On the first day of the workshop, participants survey the secrets to America’s economic success over the past 140 years. The seminar will focus on seminal innovations and inventions that changed America and the world with particular emphasis on public-private partnerships that were the basis of some of America’s greatest products and technologies.
On the second day, participants examine the elements, strategy, and implementation of successful leadership and management in government service. Government, like business, is engaged in providing services. However, unlike business, the success of effective government service is not based on profits but on mission success and excellence in services provided to citizens. The importance of understanding mission, goals, and expectations will be discussed as well as the formulation of an effective leadership strategy. Each participant will write a brief memo outlining: (1) What they would change as a leader in their workplace to improve its operation and; (2) A ten-point code of needed leadership qualities.
Upon successful completion of this workshop, students will be able to:
- Understand that the main reason for America’s rapid growth and success as a nation was and is rooted in innovation and invention.
- Understand and appreciate that public/private partnerships have been the perfect partners in some of America’s greatest achievements.
- Have a better understanding of the need for government and private sector collaborations.
- Understand, identify, and implement the building blocks of a successful leadership strategy that will improve their performance and well as the performance of the office they lead/serve.
- Understand that good ideas come from the least likely sources and knowing how to invest all members in the success of the overall mission.
- Design and present a fresh approach to the mission and goal of their office.
Furloughed Employees Professional Development Program
This course is part of the Furloughed Employees Professional Development Program at Georgetown University. Please visit our website for more information.