Certificate ProgramRequest Information
Teaching English as a Foreign Language
A Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) Certificate is an entry-level credential for teaching English as a foreign or second language. It’s appropriate for anyone with an interest in teaching EFL/ESL, regardless of whether or not you have prior teaching experience.
As part of the course, you will put together a substantial teaching portfolio that clearly demonstrates the skills and knowledge you have acquired. Your portfolio reflects the philosophy of teaching you've developed throughout the semester and includes lesson plans and instructional materials, reflections on your practicum experience, and more.
Topics covered include:
- Teaching listening, speaking, reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation
- Using a communicative, student-centered approach to teaching
- Planning lessons with clear goals and varied activities
- Effectively using textbooks, media, technology, and other materials
- Using authentic materials and tools
- Combining traditional and contemporary teaching skills and resources
- Assessing student achievement