School of Continuing Studies
Commencement for the Class of 2023
Friday, May 19 at 12:00 p.m. ET
Where: Healy Lawn
In the event of severe weather, the rain site will be McDonough Gymnasium.
Visit the SCS Commencement website for detailed information.
Applying to Graduate for BALS, MALS, DLS, MPS and EMPS
SCS graduates students in the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, Doctor of Liberal Studies, Master of Professional Studies, and Executive Master of Professional Studies programs three times per year (in May for spring graduates, in August for summer graduates, and in December for fall graduates). A single graduation ceremony, Commencement, is held for all graduates every May. To prepare to apply to graduate, students must complete the following steps:
- Retrieve your transcript from MyAccess to review on your own and with your program advisor. While your program advisor can provide you with academic guidance, it is ultimately your responsibility to ensure that you have met all requirements (including specific course, GPA, credit, and major requirements, which can differ by program).
- Degree candidates should fill out the graduation application found in MyAccess. Students can only apply to graduate in the semester in which they complete all degree requirements. Application periods will be announced by the SCS Office of Academic Affairs and Compliance and in program communications each semester.
- Applying to graduate is required as it informs us of your degree progress, allows the preparation of your diploma, and gathers information that will appear in the official Commencement Book that is published every May. Please note students who receive a grade of incomplete (I) or NR in a given semester become ineligible for graduation and must apply again in the semester they complete all degree requirements and/or resolve grades of I or NR. Graduation is not an automatic process, and your degree cannot be conferred until an application to graduate is recorded. Failure to submit your completed application in a timely manner could result in delays receiving academic clearance to graduate, degree conferral, and ordering your diploma.
- All students should contact the Office of Revenue and Receivables at (202) 687-7100 or email@example.com to ensure that they have settled their financial obligations. Financial holds prevent academic registration, the generation of official transcripts, and the issuance of diplomas and certificates.
- International students should contact the Office of Global Services at (202) 687-5867 to update their status.
Graduation Application Process for BALS, MALS, DLS, MPS, and EMPS
How to Apply to Graduate
- Log in to MyAccess.
- On the welcome screen, click on the Students tab, then select Student Profile.
- In the column of links below your student photo, click Apply to Graduate.
- In the drop down “Term” menu, select the semester/year in which you will complete your final coursework.
- Select the appropriate program or degree. Click Continue.
- Indicate whether or not you will be attending the commencement ceremony. Your response can be changed later, though not through MyAccess. Click Continue.
- Select your Diploma Name. Click Continue.
- Please ensure the name entered on the form matches the official name on file with the University. You can find your official name in MyAccess under “personal information” or on your unofficial transcript. If you need to make changes to your name, please complete the Bio and ID Change Form.
- Select your Diploma Mailing Address and add your phone number.
- Phone numbers are required for diplomas shipping internationally.
- If the address you would like your diploma mailed to is not currently listed, select “New” and enter the appropriate information.
- Review all of the information you have entered. If everything is correct, click Submit Request to complete the process.
A confirmation message will appear on your screen after you have successfully submitted your application. You will be able to view your active graduation application on your Student Profile. The graduation application will remain active until the degree is awarded by the Office of the University Registrar.
Applying to Complete a Graduate Certificate
All students who are completing a graduate certificate must complete the Graduate Certificate Completion form found on the “Student Forms” page. Your graduate certificate will not be awarded if you do not submit the Graduate Certificate Completion Request form by the stated deadline. Please note that this is separate from the MPS application to graduate process. Please reach out to your academic program if you have any questions about graduate certificates.
Please verify the status and receipt of your application using MyAccess. Submission of an application does not guarantee degree conferral or awarding of a certificate. Degrees and certificates are awarded and posted on transcripts only after all requirements have been successfully completed.
Questions about your eligibility to graduate?
Please email your academic program or firstname.lastname@example.org.