How to Apply

Doctoral Degree

Applying to a doctoral program is a big step. So, to make the process as simple and straightforward as possible, we've put together a helpful checklist for your reference as you complete your application.


Fall Term

Application Opens—Sep 15

  • Final Deadline—Mar 1

Application Checklist

  1. Completed Online Application

    Our application is conveniently located online for you to complete at your own pace. There is a $50, non-refundable fee.

    Apply Now

  2. Statement of Purpose

    Please write an essay (four to five pages, double-spaced) indicating why you are seeking acceptance into the Doctor of Liberal Studies degree program. To strengthen your essay, it is recommended that you identify possible faculty members, courses, or areas of study within the program as well as across the University, that could support your anticipated doctoral thesis proposal.

  3. Two Academic Papers

    Please submit two academic papers, preferably from different disciplines. The applicant's name and the degree for which the paper was written must be written clearly on the first page of each paper. Other examples of writing may be substituted with approval from the Director of the Doctor of Liberal Studies program.

  4. Resume or CV

    Please submit an up-to-date version of your resume or CV.

  5. Three Letters of Recommendation

    Through the online application portal, you will be prompted to provide the contact information for three recommenders. They will then receive an electronic request with instructions for submitting a recommendation through the application portal. The email will be sent immediately upon saving your application.

    • Recommendations should be completed by former supervisors, professors, or professional associates capable of appraising your academic and professional capabilities, and your present ability to pursue independent graduate work.
    • Recommenders can submit their letters before you submit your application.
  6. Transcripts from Previously Attended Undergraduate and Graduate Level Institutions

    Applicants who attended a U.S. institution must submit (official or unofficial) transcripts from:

    • all undergraduate institutions where 16 or more credits were earned
    • all graduate institutions where any credit was earned

    Applicants who attended an international institution must submit:

    • an official course-by-course WES or ECE evaluation (additional academic documentation is not required outside of the WES/ECE evaluation). No additional documentation is needed outside of WES or ECE.
    • In the case that international transcripts cannot be retrieved, please contact your admissions representative for assistance. These requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

    Applicants must have at least one conferred graduate degree to apply.

    If an applicant has been admitted and would like to enroll, an official transcript or course-by-course evaluation is required from all degree granting institution(s). The official transcript(s) and/or course-by-course evaluation must show proof of degree conferral and be sent to the Georgetown SCS Office of Admissions prior to the start of the term to which an applicant was admitted.

    Preferred Method - Electronic (Select One Method):

    1. Send it through an electronic service - National Student Clearinghouse or Parchment, if available.
    2. Have your institution(s)'s Registrar email us your official transcript(s) to our Admissions Office at:

    If your institution(s) only has hard copy transcripts, then by mail:

    Georgetown University, School of Continuing Studies
    Attn: Admissions Office
    640 Massachusetts Ave NW
    Washington, DC 20001

    If your transcript is sent to another school at Georgetown University by mistake, you will need to reorder the transcript and have it sent to the School of Continuing Studies.

    All US institutions must be accredited through one of the bodies officially recognized by the US Department of Education.

  7. English Proficiency

    Graduate coursework at Georgetown University is reading- and writing-intensive and requires proficiency in written and spoken English.

    All applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose first language is not English are required to complete one of the following English proficiency examinations:

    Students should plan well in advance to complete the necessary tests and allow time for the Georgetown SCS Office of Admissions (institution code 5986) to receive the results.

    There are additional requirements for international applicants.

    • TOEFL: Recommended score of 100 (iBT), 600 (paper-based test), or 250 (computer-based test)
      • TOEFL iBT MyBest™ scores are accepted for admission to undergraduate and graduate programs.
    • IELTS: Recommended score of 7.0
      • Please have your official scores sent to:
        Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies
        640 Massachusetts Ave NW
        Washington, DC 20001