To request enrollment through this status, please complete the following steps by each semester deadline:
- Spring semester deadline: December 1
- Summer semester deadline: May 1
- Fall semester deadline: August 1
Please note that most summer courses offered by the University are enrolled through Georgetown Summer Sessions, not the visiting non-degree program. Please see the Summer Sessions website for additional information.
- Review the courses numbered 350 or higher in the Schedule of Classes maintained by the Registrar's Office. Not all graduate academic departments allow visiting, non-degree students to take courses within their discipline, so please contact Catherine Johnson at email@example.com to inquire whether the department you are interested in taking courses with accepts visiting non-degree students.
- Complete your Registration Request Form. Only one course should appear on each request form. If you would like to request an additional course, please fill out an additional request form. This is important, as separate faculty and departmental approvals are required for each course.
- Obtain the required departmental signatures for the requested course(s). For example, to request a Government course, you would contact the Government department. To request a Chemistry course, you would contact the Chemistry department. Contact information for each department can be found online through the Online Directory. Electronic signatures will be accepted. Faculty members and Department Chairs can also send a note indicating their approval via email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request copies of official transcripts from any school where you have previously taken courses at the undergraduate and/or graduate level. Only official copies of transcripts will be accepted for review.
- Return your completed form(s) and official transcripts to the address below by the deadline stated for each semester to allow adequate time for review. You may also return your form electronically via email and have your institution(s) send official transcripts electronically if they are available; electronic documents should be sent to email@example.com.
School of Continuing Studies
640 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20001
- Even upon receiving all departmental approvals, we cannot guarantee placement in any course due to space limitations. Degree-seeking students get priority status to enroll in courses; therefore, official enrollment of visiting students can only take place following the add/drop period and on a first-come, space-available basis. If there is no space in the class or if the School enrollment limit has been reached for the semester, you will be notified and encouraged to seek a spot in the coming semester.
- All U.S. Institutions must be accredited through one of the bodies officially recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Students cannot be registered in two Georgetown University programs in the same semester.
- Students approved to take courses in the visiting non-degree status must take them for credit and cannot audit or take classes pass/fail.
Transcripts from International Schools
Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions outside of the United States, where credit has been earned, should be evaluated by WES or ECE. Applicants should request the course-by-course evaluation. It is not necessary to send additional copies of your official transcripts.
Graduate coursework at Georgetown University is reading- and writing-intensive and requires proficiency in written and spoken English.
English Language Proficiency Exams
All applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose first language is not English are required to complete one of the following English proficiency examinations:
- TOEFL: Minimum score of 100 (iBT), 600 (paper-based test), or 250 (computer-based test)
- IELTS: Minimum score of 7.0