To earn an MPS in Sports Industry Management, you must successfully complete 10 courses (30 credits total), including:
- 2 core courses (6 credits total):
- Applied Ethics in Sports
- 2 foundation courses (6 credits total):
- Sports Leadership and Management
- Social Responsibility and Globalization in Sports
- 4 concentration courses (12 credits total)
- See concentration list below
- 2 elective courses (6 credits total):
- For a current list of electives, visit the Course Schedule page.
You’ll have the flexibility to earn your degree at a pace that suits your schedule—you can take up to 12 credits per semester and have up to five years to complete the degree.
- Full-time students typically take three courses during the fall and spring semesters, and two courses during the summer semester.
- Part-time students typically take one to two courses during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
The Sports Industry Management program offers two concentrations that enable you to tailor your studies and sharpen your expertise in a particular area of study. Students are required to take 4 courses (12 credits) within one of two concentrations:
- Strategic Marketing, Communications, & Digital Media: Understand how to leverage brands, databases, the internet, market research, technology, and media relationships to develop marketing strategies, execute targeted promotional tactics, and garner long-term consumer loyalty. Courses include:
- Strategic Sports Marketing
- Sports Communications and Public Relations
- Sales Promotion, Licensing and Revenue Development in Sports
- Sports Digital Media and Consumer Engagement
- Business, Management, & Operations: Develop a foundational knowledge of finance, law, facility management, and economics while understanding how to employ analytical and planning tools and strategies that maximize profitability and productivity. Courses include:
- Sports Business and Finance
- Sports Law, Contracts and Negotiation
- Sports Event Planning and Facility Management
- Sports Economics and Global Brand Management
The Sports Industry Management program is available in both an online format and an on-campus format. You can opt to take classes online, on campus, or through a combination of both.
- On-Campus Format: In the on-campus format of the master's in Sports Industry Management, classes are held at the same times every week at our downtown D.C. campus.
- Online Format: The online master’s in Sports Industry Management has the same curriculum as the on-campus format and offers access to all of the same University resources. In this format, you’ll be able to watch lectures and complete assignments on your own schedule.
Connecting with the Industry
Internships are an integral part of the Sports Industry Management program and we strongly encourage our students to take advantage of internships and externships to build their networks and gain real-world experience.
As a student, you'll be able to develop your skills through experiential opportunities with our program’s broad partner network, including:
- NFL Players Association
- Washington Nationals
- Washington Redskins
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment
- Washington Capitals
- Washington Wizards
- Washington Mystics
- Verizon Center
- DC United
- Georgetown Athletics
- Fox Sports
- Special Olympics
- U.S. Soccer Foundation
- Comcast SportsNet
- PeacePlayers International
- Lagardere Unlimited
The master’s in Sport Industry Management program is an institutional member of the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). The program has achieved Candidacy Status with an approved outcomes assessment plan in anticipation of seeking full COSMA accreditation.