To earn an MPS in Sports Industry Management, you must successfully complete 10 courses (30 credits total), including:
- 2 core courses (6 credits total):
- Applied Ethics in Sports
- 4 foundation courses (12 credits total):
- Sports Business & Finance
- Sports Leadership & Management
- Social Responsibility & Globalization in Sports
- Strategic Sports Marketing
- 4 elective courses (12 credits total):
- For a current list of electives, visit the Course Schedule page.
The Sports Industry Management program offers three focus areas that enable you to tailor your studies and sharpen your expertise in a particular area of study:
- Sports Communications: Understand how to leverage brands, databases, the internet, market research, technology, and media relationships to develop marketing strategies, execute targeted promotional tactics, and garner long-term consumer loyalty.
- Sports Business & Sales: Develop a foundational knowledge of business management and sales while understanding how to employ analytical and planning tools and strategies that maximize profitability and productivity.
- Athletics & Administration: Explore the intricacies of collegiate athletics with hands-on experiential learning focused on managing events, social media, and partnership activations.
The Sports Industry Management program is available in both an online format and an on-campus format. You can opt to take classes online, on campus, or through a combination of both.
- On-Campus Format: In the on-campus format, classes are held at the same times every week at our downtown D.C. campus.
- Online Format: The online master’s has the same curriculum as the on-campus format and offers access to all of the same University resources. In this format, you’ll be able to watch lectures and complete assignments on your own schedule.
You’ll have the flexibility to earn your degree at a pace that suits your schedule:
- Full-time students typically take 9 credits (3 courses) during the fall and spring semesters.
- Part-time students typically take 3 to 6 credits (1 to 2 courses) during the fall and spring semesters.
- Although students are not required to take credits during the summer semester, they have the option of registering for one or more courses in order to continue their degree progress year-round.
Connecting with the Industry
Internships are an integral part of the Sports Industry Management program and we strongly encourage our students to take advantage of internships and externships to build their networks and gain real-world experience.
As a student, you'll be able to develop your skills through experiential opportunities with our program’s broad partner network, including:
- NFL Players Association
- Washington Nationals
- Washington Commanders
- Monumental Sports & Entertainment
- Washington Capitals
- Washington Wizards
- Washington Mystics
- DC United
- Georgetown Athletics
- Fox Sports
- Special Olympics
- U.S. Soccer Foundation
- Comcast SportsNet
- PeacePlayers International
- Lagardere Unlimited
- Capital One Arena (formerly Verizon Center)
The master’s in Sport Industry Management program is an institutional member of the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation (COSMA). The program has achieved Candidacy Status with an approved outcomes assessment plan in anticipation of seeking full COSMA accreditation.
All programs offered by Georgetown University are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.