Sports Management Career Outlook
North America represents the largest sports market, according to the Sports Global Market Report 2020. And this market is only continuing to grow, with a projected global increase from $446.5 billion to $556.1 billion by 2023.
As a graduate of Georgetown's Master of Professional Studies in Sports Industry Management program, you'll gain the skills, insights, and network needed to join this exciting and highly competitive industry. You'll also have the distinct advantage of earning your degree from one of the top sports management programs in the United States.
Throughout the program, you’ll have opportunities to gain direct experience and connect with members of the industry through your professors — who are experienced industry professionals — as well as externships and professional development workshops.
Develop Business Management and Leadership Skills for a Career in the Global Sports Industry
The Sports Industry Management program is ideal for professionals interested in pursuing an exciting and dynamic career in college athletics, professional sports, sports and entertainment organizations, players associations, or other sectors of the multi-faceted industry.
Shape the Growing Future of Sports
After earning your Master's in Sports Industry Management from Georgetown University, you'll gain a 360-degree perspective of the modern-day sports industry, as well as the in-demand skills that position you for a higher salary.
- The employment of entertainment and sports occupations is projected to grow 7% through 2029, which is faster than the average for all occupations, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.1
- The increasing popularity of sports will add 60,600 new jobs through 2029, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.1
Sports Management Career Paths and Salaries
Sports management can lead you down growing career avenues with competitive salaries. Our program prepares you for broad business positions within the sports industry, as well as specified roles. Here is a snapshot of potential job titles and salaries:
Director of Corporate Partnerships
Seek new corporate partners and develop business plans to increase corporate revenue. Work to increase the reach and impact of the organization through corporate partners.
Sports Marketing Manager
Plan marketing policies and programs for sports teams, products, or facilities, determine the demand for new and existing products, events, and services, identify opportunities to connect with potential customers, and develop pricing strategies that appeal to your audience and maximize profits and market share.
Analyze sales statistics to determine customer preferences for sports products, events, and services and determine their profitability. Determine plans for special pricing, acquire new customers, assign sales territories, and set sales quotas.
Work at a school, university, or other organization (such as an after-school club) to coordinate athletic activities, maintain a budget, plan special events and oversee staff.
Graduates will be qualified for many other jobs in sports management within professional leagues and franchises, collegiate athletics, venue and event management/operations, and sports agencies, as well as non-profit and government organizations. Other notable career paths for sports management degree graduates include:
- Director of marketing
- Director of sales
- Event manager
- Sports information director
- Stadium operations manager
Our online students receive the same support that on-campus students experience. When you enroll at Georgetown SCS, you will gain access to our network of faculty and advisors, as well as exclusive events. You are welcome to visit Georgetown SCS's downtown D.C. campus and participate in speaker panels, networking opportunities, professional development workshops, and social activities.
In addition, you can take advantage of our many options for career support. As a Georgetown student or graduate, you have access to the following:
- Our internship and jobs database
- Resume and cover letter writing assistance
- Interview resources and preparation
- Extensive alumni networking opportunities
Ignite your sports management career and expand your professional network. Call us toll-free at (855) 725-7622 if you have any questions about earning your online sports management degree from Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook, Entertainment and Sports Occupations. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/entertainment-and-sports/home.htm
- Payscale. Average Director of Corporate Partnerships Salary. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Director_of_Corporate_Partnerships/Salary
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook, Advertising, Promotions and Marketing Managers. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/advertising-promotions-and-marketing-managers.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational Outlook Handbook, Sales Managers. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/sales-managers.htm
- Payscale. Average Athletic Director Salary. Retrieved July 23, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Athletic_Director/Salary
Sources: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Lightcast, National Center for Education Statistics