How to Apply
- Completion of at least two college-level math courses (e.g. statistics, calculus)
- Familiarity with Python, a general purpose programming language used for data analysis
- A laptop for class meetings and coursework
- Students must have general competence with algebra (to build models) and statistics (to analyze data) in addition to a basic understanding of calculus (to understand optimization problems)
Computer Programming Prerequisites
- Students who have limited or no programming experience are strongly encouraged to gain basic skills in Python prior to enrolling in the program
- We recommend enrolling in Python Basics for Data Analysis and SQL Fundamentals prior to applying
- A laptop with at least a dual core 1.8 GHz processor, 2GB of RAM and 20 GB free hard disk space (e.g. a laptop purchased in the past two years).
- A modern operating system: Windows 7 or newer, OS X 10.6 or newer, or Ubuntu 12.04 or newer, or the equivalent. OS X and Linux are strongly encouraged.
- Python 2.7 installed on your system.
- A command prompt available (Powershell on Windows, Terminal on OS X or Linux)
Please review the refund policies in our Student Handbook before completing your registration.
You must hold a bachelor's degree or the equivalent in order to enroll in our certificate programs. For each cohort, an application review committee offers admission to a diverse group of students to enrich the classroom experience.
Tips for the Online Application
- Our online application securely stores your information and saves your progress so you can update and complete your information at your convenience
- Click the “SAVE” button at each stage of the application process to ensure that your work and documents are uploaded
Tips for Your Letter of Recommendation (Not required for Data Science Certificate)
- Your recommender is notified when you submit your online application
- Notify your recommenders ahead of time and submit your application at least one week prior to the deadline to allow time for them to complete and submit your recommendation
- A personal email address for your recommender works best
- Government, military, and corporate email servers often have filters that delay or prevent messages from being delivered
International students who enter the U.S. on a valid visa are eligible to enroll in certificate courses. However, Georgetown University cannot sponsor student visas for noncredit professional certificate programs.
A TOEFL examination is not required for non-native speakers of English but students are expected to read, write, and comprehend English at the graduate level to fully participate in and gain from the program.
Students from most countries may register for our online certificate programs, however, due to international laws, residents of certain countries are prohibited from registering.