Early childhood mental health consultants
Infant & Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation
Live Online Format
Learn the specialized role of consulting in early childhood settings from experts in the field.Request Information
The Certificate in Infant & Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation (IECMHC) provides advanced training for mental health clinicians in the specialized role of consulting in early childhood settings. You’ll learn approaches to promote mental health in the early childhood years and how the role of consultant is unique from other mental health clinician roles, as well as how consultation aims to build the capacity of early childhood professionals, settings, and systems to support young children’s mental health.
You’ll engage with national experts in the field of IECMHC and instructors from Georgetown University’s Center for Child and Human Development, home of the Center of Excellence in Infant and Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation. All faculty have created, implemented, and guided national IECMHC programs. You’ll leave the program equipped with the knowledge needed to effectively support well-being for young children, families, and professionals in early childhood settings in the consultant role. You will also develop a network in the field to promote and support your professional development.
- Ideal for: Early childhood mental health consultants
- Duration: 9 months
- Tuition: $6,000
- Format: Live Online
- Enrollment: Fridays
- Semester of Entry: Fall
Semester of Entry
What Is Live Online Learning?
Georgetown faculty deliver exceptional educational experiences based on a human-centered approach that integrates the needs of professional learners and the possibilities of technology. Live online classes are kept small to support interactive engaged learning and collaboration.
Upon successful completion of the certificate, you will be able to:
- Identify infant and early childhood mental health consultation frameworks and theories of change and how they are different from one-on-one therapy; describe the history of infant and early childhood mental health consultation and why it is needed.
- Describe the current evidence base for infant and early childhood mental health consultation, childhood developmental milestones, and developmentally appropriate behavior.
- Recognize areas of consultation focus at the child, classroom, and programmatic levels.
- Recognize how to document consultation work so it can be quantified and develop a plan for sharing it with others, how assessment is integrated into and supported by consultation work, and develop an assessment plan.
- Describe how culture (beliefs, values, attitudes, biases, and experiences), equity, and environment shape relationships and behaviors, and how they influence settings and communities in important and meaningful ways.
- Identify how infant and early childhood mental health consultation can be adapted and delivered virtually to teach in an in-person early childhood education setting and how it can be adapted to support virtual classrooms in early childhood education settings.
- Identify how the infant and early childhood mental health consultation model can be adapted to non-early childhood education settings (e.g., home visiting, early intervention).
- Identify supervision requirements for infant and early childhood mental health consultation beyond what is required for clinical licensure and describe approaches to supervision utilized in infant and early childhood mental health consultation.
Testimonials from current students and alumni.
Georgetown has been the national leader in infant and early childhood mental health consultation for decades and participants benefit from the faculty’s extensive experience in delivering and evaluating consultation services. Completion of this certificate recognizes a student’s specialized training in both promoting mental health for young children, as well as the unique role consultation plays in building the capacity of early childhood settings.”Neal Horen, Ph.D. Infant & Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation