Mission & Learning Goals
Thank you for your interest in Georgetown's Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies. We have moved our degree completion program fully online beginning Summer 2023. Learn more about the program and how to apply.
The mission of the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program is to provide a high-quality undergraduate education, rooted in the liberal studies approach and the Jesuit tradition of forming “people for others,” to non-traditional students in the metropolitan Washington, D.C., area.
The program's course offerings are of the same quality as the course offerings of Georgetown University's traditional programs, but are tailored to meet the intellectual and practical needs of non-traditional students.
Upon completing the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program, you will be able to:
- Critically analyze and engage with historical, contemporary, and enduring questions of the human experience.
- Understand fundamental concepts and methodologies in the humanities, the sciences and mathematics/statistics, and the social sciences; apply these methods to the analysis of complex problems.
- Discover and analyze primary and secondary sources relevant to specific research questions in particular academic disciplines.
- Recognize and respond to social justice issues, locally and globally; enact ethics-based approaches in study and work.
- Write well and present information clearly for specific audiences in appropriate forms and media.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply intercultural knowledge and competence by meaningfully and ethically engaging others.