Thank you for your interest in Georgetown's Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies. We have moved our degree completion program fully online beginning Summer 2023. Learn more about the program and how to apply.
To earn a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, you must successfully complete 120 credits total, including:
- Core Courses (18 credits) - All available online
- Students must take one course from each of the following six core areas: culture, humanities, natural sciences, philosophy, social sciences, and writing.
- Concentration Courses (48 credits)
- For the list of concentrations, visit the Concentrations page.
- Elective Courses (54 credits)
- Transfer Credits
- We accept up to 64 transfer credits, including military training, which can be applied toward your concentration or elective credits on a case-by-case basis.
I wanted a better understanding of the world that I had experienced in the military from a religious, philosophical, historical perspective, and I found that this program had everything that I was looking for.”
Testimonials from current students and alumni.
I wanted a better understanding of the world that I had experienced in the military from a religious, philosophical, historical perspective, and I found that this program had everything that I was looking for.”Joe Houser Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies
Student Advising & Resources
Our program is rooted in the belief that academic advising is a critical support mechanism for all students. From the moment you apply to the program, you'll receive guidance to help you in achieving your academic goals. Our program faculty and staff put a strong emphasis on establishing a rapport with each and every student to provide you with the tools you need for success.
Upon entering the program, each student will have the opportunity to meet one-on-one with program staff to map out a curricular plan, apply any available transfer credits, and discuss elective and concentration options.
Services and resources include:
- Assistance with transferring credits from other schools
- Orientation services for new students
- Course selection and class registration guidance
- Study and research support
- Classroom tutoring
- Career transition assistance
- Long-term academic planning
The Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies program is on campus with online offerings. Our online courses have the same curricula as on-campus courses and offer access to all of the same University resources. In our online courses, you’ll be able to watch lectures and complete assignments on your own schedule. For a current list of online courses, please visit our Course Schedule.
You’ll have the flexibility to earn your degree at a pace that suits your schedule:
- Full-time students typically take 12 or more credits (4 or more courses) during the fall and spring semesters, and 9 or more credits (3 or more courses) during the summer semester.
- Part-time students typically take 3 to 6 credits (1 to 2 courses) during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Although students are not required to take credits during the summer semester, they have the option of registering for one or more courses in order to continue their degree progress year-round.
All programs offered by Georgetown University are accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.