Certificate ProgramRequest Information
Certificate in Social Impact Storytelling
History has shown that stories are inextricably linked to what it means to be human. Before there was formal communication, there were stories. It should come as no surprise, then, that social movements and organizations like nonprofits, foundations, and socially responsible businesses are now working to leverage stories as a strategic tool to advance important missions. Effective stories are powerful because they drive action: spurring donations, mobilizing supporters, and more. By building emotional connections, stories bring to life the work of the issues we care so much about in ways that other forms of communication cannot.
Georgetown University’s Certificate in Social Impact Storytelling teaches changemakers of all types, especially current and aspiring marketers, communicators, fundraisers, and journalists, how to harness the power of effective storytelling for the strategic benefit of an organization and society as a whole. With a curriculum developed from Georgetown University’s renowned Center for Social Impact Communication, the program provides you with opportunities to learn from applied research, engage with expert faculty and industry thought leaders, and develop your personal skills as a storyteller.
By bringing to life applied research from Georgetown University, the Certificate in Social Impact Storytelling equips changemakers around the world with the skills needed to strategically use storytelling as a force for good in society, now and into the future.”
By bringing to life applied research from Georgetown University, the Certificate in Social Impact Storytelling equips changemakers around the world with the skills needed to strategically use storytelling as a force for good in society, now and into the future.”John Trybus, Faculty Social Impact Storytelling
Upon successful completion of the certificate, you’ll be able to:
- Explain how stories throughout history have acted as a tool for influence and express how to harness that power today
- Use the research-proven building blocks of effective stories to drive emotional connections with target audiences
- Develop a strategic plan for using storytelling within your social impact work
- Create a portfolio of stories for personal and professional use
- Assess how future trends in social impact storytelling could apply to your own work
- Create personal action steps to maximize your role as a story changemaker