Completed Online Application
Our application is conveniently located online for you to complete at your own pace. There is a $50, non-refundable fee.
Statement of Purpose
Please write an essay (four to five pages, double-spaced) indicating why you are seeking acceptance into the Doctor of Liberal Studies degree program. To strengthen your essay, it is recommended that you identify possible faculty members, courses, or areas of study within the program as well as across the University, that could support your anticipated thesis proposal.
Two Academic Papers
Please submit two academic papers, preferably from different disciplines. The applicant's name and the degree for which the paper was written must be written clearly on the first page of each paper. Other examples of writing may be substituted with approval from the Director of the Doctor of Liberal Studies program.
Resume or CV
Please submit an up-to-date version of your resume or CV.
Three Letters of Recommendation
Through the online application portal, you will be prompted to provide the contact information for three recommenders. They will then receive an electronic request with instructions for submitting a recommendation through the application portal. The email will be sent immediately upon saving your application.
- Recommendations should be completed by former supervisors, professors, or professional associates capable of appraising your academic and professional capabilities, and your present ability to pursue independent graduate work.
- Recommenders can submit their letters before you submit your application.
Official transcripts from previously attended institutions
Official transcripts are required from all undergraduate institutions where 16 or more credits were earned. Official transcripts are required from all graduate institutions where any credit was earned. These transcripts should be sent to Georgetown SCS Admissions Office. Transcripts should either be sent in an envelope sealed by the school's registrar, or via an official online transcript provider to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Georgetown University School of Continuing Studies
Attn: Admissions Office
640 Massachusetts Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001
- Applicants must have at least one conferred graduate degree to apply.
- Your transcript must state the degree and degree conferral date for it to be considered official.
- All U.S. institutions must be accredited through one of the bodies officially recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions outside of the United States, where credit has been earned, should be evaluated by WES or ECE. Applicants should request the course-by-course evaluation. It is not necessary to send additional copies of your official transcripts.