Academic Resources

From state-of-the-art digital tools to one-on-one consultations and disability accommodations, SCS provides a number of academic resources to help you make the most of your studies.

Academic Affairs

The Office of Academic Affairs & Compliance monitors student progress to ensure that minimum academic standards are met; serves as the final point of appeal for exceptions to policy; assesses overall program quality; and provides academic trainings and workshops to students, faculty, and staff.

All programs offered by Georgetown are accredited through the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and all graduate programs have been approved by the Graduate School at Georgetown.

The Office of Academic Affairs & Compliance welcomes visitors by appointment. To schedule an appointment time, or for any questions you may have, please contact us at

Apply to Graduate

SCS graduates students in the Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, Doctor of Liberal Studies, Master of Professional Studies, and Executive Master of Professional Studies programs three times per year (in May for spring graduates, in August for summer graduates, and in December for fall graduates). A single graduation ceremony, Commencement, is held for all graduates every May. Please note, noncredit students do not participate in Commencement.

Graduation is not automatic, and all students must be cleared and certified by the SCS Office of Academic Affairs & Compliance in order to graduate. To facilitate this process, students must complete the following steps:

  1. Retrieve your transcript from MyAccess to review on your own and with your program advisor. While your program advisor can provide you with academic guidance, it is ultimately your responsibility to ensure that you have met all requirements (including specific course, GPA, credit, and major requirements, which can differ by program).
  2. Degree candidates should fill out the graduation application found in MyAccess under “Student Records” and “Apply to Graduate.” Students can only apply to graduate when they are nearing graduation as indicated by attempted credit hours (your earned hours plus your currently enrolled hours). Application periods will be announced by the SCS Office of Academic Affairs and Compliance and in program communications each semester.
  3. Applications are required from all graduating students for diploma orders, degree conferral, and preparation of the annual Commencement Book. Please note that students without all final recorded grades (for example, “I” or “NR” grades) may be excluded from the Commencement Book. Failure to submit your completed application in a timely manner could result in delays receiving academic clearance to graduate, degree conferral, and ordering your diploma.
  4. All students should contact the Office of Billing and Payment at (202) 687-7100 or to ensure that they have settled their financial obligations. Financial holds prevent academic registration, the generation of official transcripts, and the issuance of diplomas and certificates.
  5. International students should contact the Office of Global Services at (202) 687-5867 to update their status.

BALS, MALS, DLS, MPS, and EMPS Graduation Application Process
Click here to view screen shots of the online graduation application process.

  1. Log in to MyAccess using your NetID and password.
  2. On the top menu bar, click on the “Student” tab.
  3. Under “Student Services,” click on the “Student Records” link.
  4. Under “Student Records,” click on the “Apply to Graduate” link.
  5. Verify and select your curriculum/program and click “Continue.”
  6. By “Graduation Date,” use the pull-down menu and select the date/month in which you will complete your final coursework. Click “Continue.”
  7. Indicate whether or not you plan on attending the May graduation ceremony. Click “Continue.”
  8. Select your Diploma Name. Click “Continue.” Verify the accuracy of your diploma name and make any needed changes here. Your name will appear exactly as you enter it here, so please make sure it is accurate and as you want it written on your official diploma. Click “Continue.”
  9. Select your Diploma Mailing Address. Click “Continue.” Verify your diploma mailing address and make any needed changes. Click “Continue.”
  10. Review your Application Summary and click “Submit Request.”

Please verify the status and receipt of your application using MyAccess. Submission of an application does not guarantee degree conferral. Degrees are awarded and posted on transcripts only after all requirements have been successfully completed.

Questions about your eligibility to participate in commencement? Please email

SCS Library

This full-service Georgetown University library offers the following:

  • Georgetown University Library collections (with courier service among GU campuses and WRLC partner schools)
  • One-on-one and small group research consultations
  • Research assignment and project review consultations
  • Research strategy and citation sessions

Location: C203
Spring Semester Hours
Monday–Thursday 3:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Also available by appointment

For additional information, please visit the SCS Georgetown Library website; for all other inquiries, please email

Digital Media Center (DMC)

Rent video camcorders, still photography cameras, light kits, microphones, and more, as well as request access to the state-of-the-art Mac Lab for video and audio editing and graphic design.

SCS Library/Equipment check-out
Location: C203

Monday: 2:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 2:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.
Thursday: 2:00 p.m.–8:00 p.m.

Mac Lab
Location: C226

Monday: 2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Tuesday: 2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.

Phone: (202) 687-5720

Academic Resource Center (ARC)

Take advantage of study skills workshops, individual consultations, and disability support at the ARC. If you are experiencing challenges with coursework or seeking accommodation for a disability, we encourage you to consult with an ARC administrator who can help determine a plan that works best for you.

Location: C144
Hours: By appointment
Phone: (202) 784-7366

Writing Lab

The Georgetown School of Continuing Studies Writing Lab was developed to help SCS students brush up on the writing process and the writing skills necessary to successfully complete assignments. The Writing Lab holds workshops every semester on a variety of topics, as well as offers one-on-one tutoring opportunities for students to meet with an experienced writing tutor.

For general questions about the Writing Lab, please email or visit the SCS Writing Lab website.